Book Binge Blog's Reviews > Overbite

Overbite by Meg Cabot

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: for-review, paranormal, avon

Once I got past the beginning hump of the first book, I quickly finished Insatiable and was eager to start Overbite. I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed this book so much more than I enjoyed the first book. It's so good to see Meena, Jon, Alaric and even Lucien back in action.

In this book, Meena is now working for the Palatine Guards with Alaric and Alaric has the total hots for Meena but is annoyed that she only sees him as a friend. The relationship that bloomed between Meena and Alaric was strictly platonic even though Alaric wanted more from Meena. They were friends first and I really enjoyed them together.

As much as I adored Lucien early on in Insatiable, for me it was always about Alaric for Meena. The protectiveness that comes out in Alaric was just too cute for words. Lucien was protective as well but his protectiveness wasn't as sincere as Alaric's was and I never once swooned over him even though I probably was supposed to. I wasn't a big fan of him biting Meena without her express permission and then when she asked him not to bite her, her bit her anyway. Yeah, that's a quick way for me to not pick to be on your team buddy.

There's a new kind of vampire, not from Lucien's batch of vampires around the world (which kind of confused me since he's supposed to be the Prince of Darkness so I thought he knew about all vampires, etc..) but he's looking for them because they're trying to get to Meena as well and you know nobody messes with Meena. The Church/Palatine Guards send out a priest from Costa Rica, Padre Caliente who Alaric hates more than anyone (well not more than Lucien, I don't think but close) because he's a cowardly man who lives in the limelight.

These new vampires on the street are making the other vampires from Insatiable look tame little puppies because these new vampires not only suck their victims blood and drain them but they're flesh eating vampires like zombies and well, eww gross! So while Meena and Alaric are trying to figure out what's going on, they're hitting road block after road block and they're starting to wonder if the culprit works for their organization because whoever it is, is stripping Meena and Alaric of all of their goodies and they're not liking it one bit.

The action is back and funnier than ever. This cast of characters had me cracking up throughout the story and Meg Cabot did a wonderful job of keeping me invested in the story and the characters. I came to care for Meena and was rooting on her to save Alaric and the world from these crazy vampires. Alaric's personality shines in this book and I fell in love with him over and over again with each passing page. He's just awesome.

Jon Harper is back and determined to show the Palatine Guard's that they need someone like him working for them. His invention had me cracking up and his interactions with Adam, Meena and everyone else (Yelena was cute too) made this book even more enjoyable. This was a great follow up to Insatiable and I have every faith that fans of Insatiable will love this book as well. Meg Cabot strikes again and she proves that she can write the hell out of a story and create characters that you'll want to follow over and over again through their different adventures. This book doesn't disappoint.

Grade: 4.5 out of 5

This review was originally posted on Book Binge by Rowena.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overbite.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

THANK YOU. This is the only review I've seen that reflects how I felt about the story. The love she had for Lucien proved to be important, because it saved his soul. But come on, Alaric's feelings for her where just plain adorable, and in the end, exactly what she needed. It's not as if they came from nowhere, either. I was perfectly happy with this sequel.