Jason Yang's Reviews > Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond

Jul 29, 11

I LOVED this book. Jared Diamond presents a compelling explanation for why some societies were able to develop much quicker (and thus conquer) other societies. His thesis statement is that anthropologically, some societies gained advantages over others due to differences in resource availability, selective pressure, agriculture and domestication, stemming from where in the world these societies first started (eg, which continent).

His methodology seems as quantitative as history research permits and I'm drawn in by his attention to concepts more common to control theory and systems engineering. The entire book is a discussion on how different aspects of society (culture, technology, warfare, disease, etc.) are emergent phenomena of whether a civilization was hunter-gatherer or farmers and he appeals to feedback in a lot of his discussions.

I certainly recommend this book to anyone. It's written for a broad audience, so it's an easy read. Definitely one of the best books I've read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guns, Germs and Steel.