Jason Yang's Reviews > Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America

Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas L. Friedman

Jul 29, 11

While I agree with the majority of the content in this work, I struggled with Friedman's self-applauding writing style. As a scientist, I would never describe an idea as a "Law", let alone write about more than one of them.

Friedman makes a coherent argument that growth of our species will be the biggest challenge to my generation, largely in the form of energy and climate change, but also in social, political and economic forms. His thesis that America should address these concerns by innovating our way out of these problems is a theme that I resonate with particularly strong. Yet, I feel that his soapbox-ish tone detracts from the message he tries to convey. On the other hand, I recognize that in his trade, his training is to communicate to the broadest audience possible, which requires some artistic liberties in writing.

In any case, I enjoyed this work and would recommend it to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot, Flat, and Crowded.