Sarah's Reviews > Say Her Name

Say Her Name by Francisco Goldman

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: books-that-made-me-cry
Read in April, 2011

The first time I read "Say Her Name" I was somewhat unimpressed. It wasn't a BAD read - I enjoyed Goldman's writing, it just didn't click for me. It took me several days to finish, which is unusual for me (I'm a book in one afternoon kind of gal).

Then I couldn't stop thinking about it. Other narratives brought it to mind, and the story itself preyed on my mind. I opened it again and read it start to finish in one marathon session, and it was like reading a whole different book. I'm not sure what changed, whether it was my state of mind the first time I read it, or if it just needed time to marinate in my brain. Either way, I now believe "Say Her Name" to be one of the best books on memory and grief I've ever read.

The narrative structure reminds me of a description I read recently of "Beloved," in that Goldman circles the main event starting at a great distance, slowly coming closer as he becomes more able to deal with the grief of losing Aura. If you need a linear narrative, this is utterly not the book for you. This is, to me, a realistic narrative: one that follows the flow of grief and its many twists and turns.

Yet, beyond grief, I feel that this is one of the most brilliant books on memory and its power over us. It invokes a strange feeling that, while we're reading, Aura is still alive. By sharing his memories with us, Goldman assures that she lives on in the minds of thousands of people, a literary afterlife if ever there was one.

I see a lot of people classifying this as a love story, and while love is at the heart of what Goldman is writing about, I wouldn't call it that. The point is not, to me, that he loved - the point is that he lost and is willing to share that loss with us, to our benefit as readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Say Her Name.