Michael's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Jul 29, 11

liked it
bookshelves: mysteries

This book was particularly hard to rate. On the one hand, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But on the other hand, I can't really explain why. The mystery itself was compelling enough, but I never obsessed over the clues as I often do with a good mystery. Several major events happened late in the story, and are either resolved quickly or wrapped up suddenly in the final chapters. Normally I would hold such things against an author, but in this case I didn't mind. I suppose it was because I was consumed with the setting, the time period, and the characters. Charles Lenox is a fine Victorian gentleman and a good amateur sleuth. I managed to read about his investigation without ever thinking about Sherlock Holmes, a feat which I would have thought impossible. But Lenox relies heavily on his butler, Graham, to supply him with a warm cup of tea when he gets home, and enjoys sleeping late in a warm cozy bed. He has a quasi-platonic friendship with his childhood friend Jane, and has a coachman at the ready when it's time to hurry to a location to investigate. I really got caught up in this Victorian world, and the mystery was substantive enough to keep me interested. This book is the first in a series, and I'm eager to watch it grow and develop.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.