Lysanne's Reviews > The Poisonwood Bible

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

F_50x66
Jul 29, 11

I felt this book was well written. The thoughts and feelings of the mother figure were beautifully written. From a Christian perspective, I think the only flaw was the idea left at the end of the book that we should leave Africa alone to fend for itself and it will do just fine. Christ calls us to go to all the ends of the earth. We are not going to accomplish spreading the gospel without flaw, but the book did show the flaws of sending a family out for this work and mission without the support of a church , ministry or at least consensus of all the family members that this is God's calling for their lives. Despite all, this book was well written, did show so many aspects of how each family member worked out their lives because of the choices made and for that I give it a good review. The ending did leave me a little sad to think out of all the people in Africa that were to be told the gospel and spread the truth of God's word, the missionary family was the saddest casualty of this mission venture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poisonwood Bible.