Jeff Jackson's Reviews > The Last Samurai

The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt

Jul 29, 2011

Read in April, 2012

4.5 stars. Many others have written passionately and eloquently about this wonderful book, so just a few quick observations:
-Contains one of the great piano recital scenes in all literature (alongside Berthe Trepat's concert in 'Hopscotch')
-Doesn't go as deep into Kurosawa's 'The Seven Samurai' as I expected, but still makes a great double bill after reading the novel
-Doesn't feel nearly as long as its daunting 500+ page count due to numerous short sections, blank spaces, and of course engaging storyline
-Swaps narrators halfway through the book, but this is done with such ease and skill that the radical shift merely feels inevitable
-Apparently Tom Cruise plays Ludo in the Hollywood movie version. Seems like a stretch, though he is awful short.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Samurai.

08/17/2016 marked as: read

David Katzman I loved this book.

message 2: by Mike (last edited Apr 27, 2012 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Puma Loved it as well, much more so than her more Lightning Rods

Jeff Jackson Mike - I heard something about her new one being totally different. Is that right? Apparently she was told to write a few less ambitious novels and then try to get 'The Last Samurai' published. I think maybe 'Lightning Rods' was one of those. Thankfully Samurai slipped past the publishing gatekeepers first.

Mike Puma If I recall correctly, and there's no reason to think I do, this book is actually as old as TLS; it's just taken this long to be published.