Kelli's Reviews > If You Were Here

If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster

Aug 03, 11

Read from July 29 to August 03, 2011

I didn't understand this book. My friend clued me in that it was fiction and not another of Jen's usual memoirs, but then I started it only to discover it was written exactly like her memoirs. So I guess her real life wasn't currently interesting enough to warrant another book?

I love Jen's other books. Her style and voice are hilarious and I truly enjoy my time spent with her during her escapades in "culturing up" or "meeting" her neighbors. And you get more of that same thing with her fictional Mia character... only, kinda... amped up? So instead of her normal funny life, it's that with a little extra added in, but I found the effect didn't help to make it funnier, it just kind of dragged things out and made them cliched.

The book does have some great one-liners and some truly hysterical dialogue. I about peed myself when Mia's husband buys a $45 light bulb and she asks him, "Are you high or do you just hate money?" And her fictitious series 'Teenage Amish Zombies in Love' ("it's surprisingly lucrative!") is just comic genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Were Here.