Leigh Collazo's Reviews > Drought

Read from July 29 to 31, 2011

More reviews at http://readerpants.blogspot.com

RECOMMENDED FOR: MS, HS

OVERALL RATING: Highly recommended

WHAT I LIKED: When I start reading a book, I try very, very hard to keep my opinion uninfluenced by other reviews. Very positive reviews from others will lead me to high expectations, and I won't end up liking a book the way I might have otherwise. When I added Drought to my Goodreads list, I did notice the very low rating it has gotten from other readers. That's not a good sign, but I continued reading anyway. I am SO GLAD I did.

Drought pulled me in from the very first few pages. The concept is unique, and I read compulsively, finishing it at 4:00 this morning. It's unpredictable and I had absolutely no idea where Bachorz was going with it. Engrossed until the very end, I just HAD to know what was going to happen.

Characters are interesting and never cookie-cutter. I felt very sad when one of them dies tragically (I LIKED that character), and I kept hoping that maybe he wasn't really dead. Protagonist Ruby is a strong, but imperfect, young lady who gives freely to those who are sick, injured, or starving. Somehow, she never comes off as better than anyone else or saintly, and she is just as rebellious as any modern teenager. Her romance with Ford is realistic; it's not just this whirlwind romance where she just gets swept off her feet. Ruby and Ford know they can never be. They argue about their many differences and sometimes do the wrong thing.

I'm sure some readers will criticize the ending, but I found it sadly fitting. The Constituents have lived a certain way for so long, it's no wonder they fall right back into their routine once all the chaos dies down. What are they supposed to do, skip off into the city?

GREAT trailers! I love the dual perspectives; my students will love that.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: I found myself really getting worked up about the Constituents and their passivity. FIGHT BACK,PEOPLE! Could fighting back really be as terrible as getting beaten every day for 200 years?

I was so sad when a certain character died. I liked him and thought hoped Ruby would end up with him instead. He is interesting and would have adapted well to the modern world. Sigh.

CONTENT:

Language: very mild

Sexuality: mild-moderate; several kissing scenes, one intense

Violence: moderate; people are beaten with chains and starved; one character dies accidentally, another is murdered

Drugs/Alcohol: mild; one scene where Overseers presumably drink beer

STATUS IN MY LIBRARY: We received it fairly recently; it will be popular considering the number of students who love Candor. The trailers will be a hit with my kids, and I will also recommend Drought to students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drought.