Liza's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: classroom-library, young-adult, young-adult-fantasy
Read from January 29 to February 04, 2012 — I own a copy

This is such an interesting read and the photos add this mystical quality to the story as you envision the events in your head. There was not much I had to complain about, though I did have several questions about the peculiar children and all the revelations surrounding them.

However, I have to say the ending took me by surprise in the sense that I'm not sure if I have closure from the book, if I'm expected to accept this as an open ending, or if the ending was done to prepare you for a sequel. More important, I wonder if the reason I'm at a loss about my feelings towards the ending is due to all the young adult novels in the market that are series based. I think it's rare to find a book that doesn't require a sequel in the YA genre.

I enjoyed the visually striking elements that added mystery to the story. I think the author does a wonderful job of enticing you with the characters and blending the photos in seamlessly. I wasn't sure if the photos would work, but Riggs pulled it off.

Again, great book, but the ending does make you wonder if Riggs secretly had more photos to choose from, which his friends lent him, making it possible to write a sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

01/29/2012 page 74