Lisa's Reviews > The Development of the Person: The Minnesota Study of Risk and Adaptation from Birth to Adulthood

The Development of the Person by L. Alan Sroufe

Mar 31, 08

bookshelves: professional-reference
Recommended to Lisa by: Alan Sroufe and everyone I worked with on the Minnesota Mother C
Recommended for: professionals who work with kids and understand research
Read in June, 2005

I will admit, this is not an easy read. The general gist is that attachment and other early influences related to security, fear, and internal working models of relationships and the world are critical...but operate in context and are malleable if situations change and are subtly changed and influenced throughout the lifespan. Seems like that pretty much covers everything, from early influences through stability and change...but they've got the research to prove it. I did archival research on this longitudinal study when I was an undergraduate, and it influenced everything I've learned about kids, development, families, and therapy since then. (And as a bonus, Sroufe is a slightly awkward, genuinely nice guy in a bow tie who I remember as a marvelous professor, a brilliant and creative researcher, a caring and supportive advisor to the grad students I knew, and the sort of guy who would wander into the windowless file room on some other errand entirely on a hot August day, look at the little knot of undergraduate research assistants, and decide he absolutely had to find us a fan. Though that last bit doesn't necessarily come through in the book.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Development of the Person.