Katie Lambden's Reviews > Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Jun 13, 07

Recommended for: anyone - really
Read in January, 2007

As a 21st century book in the grand American muckraking tradition, Fast Food Nation is well-researched, well-documented, and addresses a pressing issue of the day. As a piece of nonfiction writing, it is totally gripping and easy to read. Generally I am not a huge nonfiction fan, but I couldn't put this book down. It is extremely dense with facts, interviews, and statistics, and yet none of the data interfere with the readability.

As a liberal semi-vegetarian with no love for fast food, I fully realize that the Schlosser's apparent conclusions dovetail neatly with many of my own ideas; in all honesty this may have something to do with my deep enjoyment of this book. HOWEVER, I do not think that his conclusions were foregone; his research is quite meticulous and he presents many sides of the histories in question. He hits all the angles, from the entrepreneurial excitement of the fast food industry's origins, to how the industry affected the landscape development of the US, to the human rights issues of workers throughout the food production chain, to environmental and animal rights concerns, to human health issues, to the international ramifications of the US's fast food industry. Totally fascinating, in large part horrifying, and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fast Food Nation.