Sharon Nakagawa's Reviews > Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef

Over in the Ocean by Marianne Berkes

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: kids-realistic-fiction, kids-fiction
Read in July, 2011

I am going to read this to my first grade class along with Over in the Meadow. Some of the verbs will need to be previewed. There is a cute fingerplay suggestion at the end which will come in handy while explaining the verbs. I also intend to use it for classroom management purposes and establishing a warm, fun learning environment. Afterwards, a quick charting of the sea animals and their actions will lead to the creation of a classroom book. I am expecting spectacular results inspired by the dazzling pictures (I was sold on this book through its illustrations). The back inside cover says, "The art in this book was shaped entirely from polymer clay. Bright colors, fine details, and textured images tickle the imagination. From the illustrator's website:

"I try to celebrate my creativity everyday—especially when I’m in my studio making my art and books! The arts are so important for expressing our feelings, thoughts, gaining knowledge, and communicating with others. Creating books is a wonderful way of sharing your own special stories too!”

What a celebration it is. You can read more on her website and at Dawn Publications says it "is dedicated to inspiring in children a deeper understanding and appreciation for all life on Earth." And, that is exactly what I intend to do with this new tool in the shape of a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over in the Ocean.