Mjhancock's Reviews > Blind Man's Bluff

Jul 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in July, 2011

Essentially, the cast of New Frontier gather to decide what's to be done about their increasingly controlling artificial intelligence. It's a perfectly well written book, with the witty banter people have come to expect from David. And in additional to the Usual Suspects, David also proves himself adept at handling established characters (if there was any doubt), as a few familiar faces from the Voyager crew make an appearance. My problem with the book is that, despite the significance of a threat posed by a longtime cast member, it still felt as if the book was more focused on clearing the deck for the next story than selling the significance of this one. It felt like the opening arc of a season of Supernatural; they may build up to a threatening monster of some sort for the first six episodes, and they may tell us that it's the Biggest Threat Ever, but as viewers, we can't help but be aware that something bigger and better is waiting in the wings. The irony in this case being that, with the uncertain state of the Star Trek novel lines, this may very well be the last look we get at the New Frontier crew, which would really be a shame--not because this book is such a horrible note to go out on (or, sadly, a great one), but because it would be a shame to end one of the truly unique corners of the ST expanded universe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blind Man's Bluff.