John Martindale's Reviews > Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues: Exploring the Spiritual Themes of the Lord of the Rings

Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues by Mark Eddy Smith

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: christian, audiobook
Read in July, 2011

I really enjoyed hearing Mark Smiths reflections on various virtues throughout the book. He has done what hope to do sometime off in the future, that is to read the LOTR books more contemplatively and draw from them the richness that is there. What I like is the LOTR story was fresh in my mind, so it was almost like having a conversation with a friend who is sharing with me what they liked from the book, and since they have a different perspective from mine, when they share there reflection from a part of the story that I too have read, it excites me. For they put words to what I knew was there but I some reason could not verbalize it. They mention something and at once it seems obvious. And yet if I am honest with myself, it was not obvious to me a moment before they said it, though right in front of me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues.