Lucy Barnes's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

F 50x66
Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Read in July, 2011

This is more a review of vols 1-5, rather than just this book. I read all five in a row last week and so can't remember that well where each ends and the next begins.

Obviously there was something very compelling about these books (given the five-in-a-row) but in retrospect I am not sure how much I enjoyed the series (so far). I'm very skeptical of Martin's ability to end stories well (as opposed to ending books/chapters/individual stories on a cliff-hanger)-- from the first five volumes. Obviously the `grand finale' is yet to happen, but the mini-endings (SPOILER: e.g. deaths to various individuals) etc, have so far been pretty underwhelming. Maybe that's the point.

I'll certainly read the next (last?) one (s?), but I'm not sure I'd recommend these to anyone... despite the hype. As a sidenote I'm rooting for Jaime to come through with a tragic-heroic Darth Vader-esque ending.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.

Alice I'm just flabbergasted that you read what must have been... 5000 pages in the span of a week. Are your eyes still working?

Lucy Barnes Alice wrote: "I'm just flabbergasted that you read what must have been... 5000 pages in the span of a week. Are your eyes still working?"

Yeah, the eyes work (same as ever). It wasn't a particularly healthy week, though. I did about 4 hours of real work, didn't sleep much, and barely left the house.