Lauren 's Reviews > When God Was a Rabbit

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, 2010s-fiction
Recommended to Lauren by: Lisa
Read from August 01 to 02, 2011

Such a strong beginning - an amazing voice and story about childhood in 1970s England, told through the perspective of Elly. She is precocious and outgoing, and she loves her brother, her best friend, and her pet rabbit more than anything in the world. She struggles with very real problems but is okay, thanks to these strong bonds.

If the book had just stayed in the idyllic world of 1970s England, like it was in Part I, it would be automatically get 5 stars from this reader. However, Part II tried to be too big and introduce so many plot devices and themes... was disappointed with one big plotline in the 2nd half - it just seemed too easy to go that route, and I expected more from the author at that point. Even with all of the plots, I was able to stay with the story, but I longed for the the simplicity of the beginning. It was as if the author had so many ideas that could have easily been explored in follow-up books, but wanted to crunch them all into this one story... just too much.

With these criticisms aside, I would definitely read another book by Winman. She captured a spirit and tone in her writing that I haven't really seen before - a beautiful blend of the whimsy and reality of childhood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When God Was a Rabbit.

08/01/2011 page 50
08/02/2011 page 164
50.0% "Such a fresh voice - really really enjoying this one."
04/10/2016 marked as: read