Catherine Woodman's Reviews > Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes

Food Matters by Mark Bittman

Jul 29, 11

This is a late comer to this genre of writing--he even tips his hat to a number of things that Pollan says, and notes Alice Water's involvement but doesn't date it back to the 1970;'s. to be fair, he is taking a slightly different bent--he is taking the philosophy of eat less, mostly vegetables, less processed food, less meat, and giving some very specific ideas about how exactly to do that. he recommends not eating meat until after dark. He gives a month's worth of menus so that you can see he doesn't mean you have to eat grass 4 days a week to do this, and he gives verysimple recipes for basic things and how to do some variations on them. Which is way different from the Kingsolver book or the Pollan book. I guess I am already a believer and I already cook this way and so it wasn't an aha moment for me. But worth reading if you aren't there yet (and his microwave popcorn recipe is something I will try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Food Matters.