Catherine Woodman's Reviews > Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking

Ratio by Michael Ruhlman

Jul 29, 2011

I really enjoyed this book, which is a mixture of musings, knowledge, and recipes. Even though I do not see this in any substantive way changing the way I cook, I really enjoyed the information it imparted, and the way it told the story about the chemistry of food. Harold McGee is great if you really want to know the chemistry--this is how to take the knowledge of the simplest form of the recipe and then various directions you might go once you know that. Things like mousseline and sausages--things we used to make alot of when we were without children, would be a great thing to get back into once we are not cooking 3 pounds of pasta for a meal. THe book is full of musings about cooking and food--the things that reflect what those of us who are decent daily cooks think about when we are facing making an evening meal that we have not planned--which is about 70% of the cooking I do. I will be giving this as holiday presents this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ratio.