Catherine Woodman's Reviews > The Man of My Dreams

The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld

Jul 29, 2011

I am not entirely sure why, but I couldn't put this book down. I started reading it in the early evening, and finished it a t 1:30 am. On a week night. Hannah is our girl, and we follow her for the second half of her almost 30 years, at fixed intervals in time. She has a traumatic childhood, with a verbally abusive father who never apologizes (which isn't my scenario, but it certainly sounds familiar) and a mother who appeases him until she cannot stand it any longer--but her family continues to excuse his behavior rather than address it, and this has a detrimental effect on Hannah--she really never connects in an intimate way with anyone. Not her family, not her friends, and not a man. It is a telling of jsut how long these things can last, the ripple of bad behavior out across generations, and yet there is no proposal that we should in fact nip it in the bud--not even from the therapist. Oh well. Engrossing if not enlightening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man of My Dreams.