Catherine Woodman's Reviews > Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815

Empire of Liberty by Gordon S. Wood

Jul 29, 11

I took a course with Gordon WOod in college, and then promptly forgot about him--never to take another history course again, if the truth be told. But this year I decided that perhaps it was time to take a vig plunge into the world of non-fiction. It has been literally decades since I was in college, and perhaps it is time to attack learning new things with a renewed vigor. Or at least to read a couple dozen non-fiction books this year. I am well on my way to achieving that goal, and this book was a notch on my belt. And it is a spectacular one at that, covering 25 years of early America history in a way that is illuminating and interesting. I loved the stories told and the book overall. The only thing is that it is so heavy as to be practically unliftable. I had to read it at a table. I thought about buying it on the Kindle because I thought it woudl be so hard to read in the time I could have it out of the library (and I did have it out for three weeks, and did not crack it, returned it and finally got into it). I think this is specatcalar!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Liberty.