Jocelyn's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: classics, everyone-must-read
Read from July 29 to 31, 2011

I think, perhaps, Never Let Me Go is one of those dreadfully misunderstood books that get shoved away because the readers weren't "ready" for it. I read several of the reviews as I was reading the novel, and I must say, I was severely disappointed with many of the reader's discussions. I don't think they even bothered to understand Kathy and her friends.

What you must first understand about Kathy (the protagonist) is that she thinks you are like her- you are a chosen one. Kathy and her friends were raised in a secluded and private boarding school somewhere in the English countryside. They are scared of the outside world and in the novel, there is no mention of anyone wanting to go outside the boundaries. The one time it is mentioned of children leaving, it is mentioned with fear and like a ghost story. However, this wasn't strange to me because why would you want to leave your home and the place you loved? Hailsham, the boarding school, is a character itself- a comforting, old building filled with children, touched by fate and their mysterious teachers.

Because Kathy assumes you and she are alike, she doesn't bother spelling things out for you. She knows you went to a school like hers and that you are preparing for the same fate she is. This fate is unknown to the reader until suddenly, they are called by their mysterious name, "Donations." When it finally is spelled out for the reader, it is done so matter-of-fact that you feel like perhaps you did know all along. I feel the writer was very clever in this way- you could guess and then you simply know. In fact, this is how Kathy describes as the way she found out. She and her classmates simply "knew" even if they could never remember being told.

I think many people got wrapped up in what was happening to the characters that they missed the story itself. Never Let Me Go at the core is a love story. It is a story of friend-love and true-love and what it means to love. The friends in this novel have always known who they would be and what they would become but they choose to love and form bonds anyways. I think that's the beautiful, wonderful thing in this story. I think that's what most people miss because they get caught up in the science of the novel.

This book does not quite warn our society, but it does show us a world without proper and moral healthcare. I think this novel is extremely appropriate for high school students. I recommend it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

07/29/2011 page 126