Peacegal's Reviews > Ordinary Victories

Ordinary Victories by Manu Larcenet

Jul 31, 11

Read from July 29 to 31, 2011

Marc is a young man who suffers from panic attacks, hates work, abhors change, loves photography, adores his pet cat, and feels profoundly and obsessively betrayed by a former friend who wasn't at all what he seemed. So far, so good.

I really wanted to like this book more. After experiencing a spate of memoir-style comic books that weasel in subplots about breeding, I paged through this one diligently before I checked it out of the library. When I didn't see any delivery room scenes or illustrations of germ cells, I figured I was safe.

Unfortunately, I hadn't dodged the breeder bullet completely. Marc's girlfriend has the bayybee rabies, and at first he refuses to even consider breeding (yay!) Sadly, by the end of the story, he hints that he's going to wuss out and capitulate (boo!) What a terrible disappointment, because he really seems to be getting his life back on track, doing what he loves by this point.

Heavy sigh. I want to believe there is more to life, but if these graphic novels are any indication, there doesn't seem to be.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary Victories.