Pam's Reviews > Deadworld

Deadworld by J.N. Duncan

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, paranormal, urban-fantasy, series, police-fbi
Read from July 29 to 31, 2011

I'd give it a 4.5 and trust me, I don't give out 4.5 or 5 often. I'm too darn picky
It's a good beginning to a new urban fantasy series. Yes the main female FBI agent is often abrasive and hard-edged but as the story progresses we learn what in her own background...her own fears made her that way. While some might find her attitudes and actions problematic, I found her realistic, and hoped to see her change over the course or the book and come out a little different at the end. A better woman for what she'd experienced while working with Nick and company.

Then there's Nick and the people that work with him. They're interesting and unique and I couldn't wait to learn more about them. That's especially true of Sheriff Nick...he's a responsible and trustworthy man from a by-era who's determined to keep safe those he considers in his care.

I found the authors take on vampires and the paranormal world refreshing and creative. It was dark and a more than a little disturbing but the backbone of the story...the mystery of stopping Drake was never far from the surface. Everything else swirled around it, the pieces of the plot-puzzle seamlessly interlocking around him and his dastardly actions.

I for one can't wait for the next release in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadworld.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Duncan Pam, glad you enjoyed the book so much. Always a pleasure when my style and take on things gels with a reader. I hope you enjoy The Vengeful Dead just as much when it comes out in October.

message 2: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam It's already on to TBL.