Clickety's Reviews > The Boy in the Suitcase

The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: adventure, drama, fiction, ownit, mystery, thriller

I read this book WHILE I WAS AT DISNEY WORLD, and if you know me, and you know how much I love Disney World, you'll know that's pretty darn significant.

This was not a story I devoured all in one go, like a box of Sugar Babies. I found myself stopping every few chapters, not because I wanted to think about it consciously, but it kind of felt like the story was simmering way back at the base of my brain, like when you put on a batch of ham-and-potato-and-cheese soup in the slow cooker allll day so that when you get home from work the entire house has that gentle savory scent, and it greets you as you walk in the door.

And so I'd pick it up again later that day, and even though there's multiple POVs and the setting skips around as a result I didn't have trouble picking up where I'd left off. It was easy to get immersed in the narrative again and just slip along with the flow.

The book is subtle and lush; the characters are intriguing and unique yet quite believable. This was one of the few non-YA books I got at the ALA convention in New Orleans, and I'm ever so glad I picked it up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Suitcase.