Lady Jaye's Reviews > Lord of the Vampires

Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter

Nov 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance-paranormal, magic, loved-it, awesome-heroines, awesome-heroes, dark-or-gritty-or-raw, read-in-2011, stars-3
Read from August 31 to September 01, 2011

ETA: after finishing all the books in the series, I am downgrading my review to three stars. It factors in how much I like each book, and how many flaws i felt each book had when taking into consideration the whole quartet.

Now I understand why so many people love Gena Showalter. The woman is a master storyteller. The first book I read by her totally underwhelmed. This is my second book and I am totally overwhelmed.

I love, love, love the mythology Ms Showalter and the other three ladies have created for this series.

This is the first book in the series, and Ms. Showalter chose to model her story after Alice in Wonderland (I had to look that up to remember :O), and I guess I kinda see the resemblance.

I liked the book quite a bit. I was completely transported into the world and the experience of the characters. I felt rage when Nicolai was enraged, I felt sad when Jane was sad, I felt angry when Nicolai was angry. The tension/foreshadowing was out of this world.

After a tragedy that befalls his family, Nicolai, crown prince of a kingdom that runs parallel to our world, is trapped in a time warp, literally, with his memory wiped clean. He's been made a sex slave in the time warp kingdom and lives his days out planning his revenge. He also knows there is something urgent to do re taking back a kingdom, but with his memory gone, he has no idea what he is supposed to do. With his magic he summons Jane, a woman with her own scars, to free him. This being a PNR, of course they fall in love along the way (well these two fell in love rather early).

The characters were fantastic. Nicolai was one scary dude- he reminds me vaguely of Jericho Z Barrons and Nalini Singh's Raphael - utterly ruthless, completely without ruth (lol!). I felt every bit of his frustration when he'd start to remember something about his past only for the memory to fade when he was on the cusp of remembering, argh! The little snippets of memory he did have about his family all made me go "awwww."

I also totally loved that Nicolai was a vampire, but not in the undead sense of it. I don't like the undead. So this was one 'vampire' novel I enjoyed.

Jane was a kick-ass heroine, smart, witty, mature, and not at all TSTL. Girl was take-charge, going straight for what she wanted: Nicolai. No misunderstandings, no nothing. Just two adults who were as straight as possible with each other (well, most of the time) from the get go.

I loved reading this book. I see what all the fuss about Ms. Showalter is about now.
I am excited for this series and I am excited to read more of Gena Showalter's work.

I highly recommend this book description
*I received this ebook/eARC from Netgalley free of charge; it had no influence on my review/rating*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Vampires.

08/31/2011 page 11
4.0% "the prologue sounds really exciting! I'm excited!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Patricia (last edited Sep 06, 2011 11:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Patricia Urgh. Didn't like it. :/ Should definitely update my gr review tomorrow.. Mhe.

Lady Jaye Lol. I was shocked Gena Showalter could write so well. So I ended up loving it.

Patricia Hm - She definitely could write sex-scenes very well. XD

The other part, idk, it was confusing and for me not in a nice surreal Alice in Wonderland-way but in a "what the fuck's happening there? hää?" way. And, well.. the tongue. Really, it's just.. When I watched that episode of Games of Thrones and Jason Momoa ripped out this guy's tongue I was able to say: Cool, bro. Because, let's face it, Khal Drogo is one creepy schmuck and he always had been and he raped his wife and I still love him (which is one of the worst things in my life, but I can't stop myself). But Nicolai doesn't have the Khal Drogo effect on me and I can finally act like I would usually do when I see someone ripping out someone else's tongue. - Or worse, someone almost getting raped and then fucking with this "Here darling, I got you a tongue!"-guy.

But yeah, I actually have to admit that I liked her writing, too. And boy, was I shocked. (Didn't we talk about her once? Or was it someone else from the forum?) Except for the things above, it was well-written and the pacing was very good and.. Have I mentioned that the sex scenes were haaaawt? :D