Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten)'s Reviews > Becoming

Becoming by Raine Thomas

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, favorite
Read from July 29 to 31, 2011

I have to say to start out, that I normally have a huge aversion to young adult fiction that is labeled to have a romance in it. My brain sort of has a mini seizure and I walk away going, no!

However, something drew me to this new book series. I found out about it following the author via twitter, followed the link to her website, read the synopsis to book one, and instantly I was sold.

No vampires, no werewolves, it was a totally new and fresh idea for my brain to savor and lap at slowly, and savor and then devour it did!

The beginning of the book opened a secret door into this new world featuring the Estilorians, a race that used to exist parallel to humans. Till of course humans fearing that which was different repelled the race. We enter this series with Amber and Gabriel as our books leads. Instantly I took a liking to our teenage heroine, she was moody and standoffish without being overwhelming. We see so many authors take this over the top. Gabriel is her best friend and of course they both secretly pine for one another.

It was expertly written out. There was no eye rolling, it was subtle, and easy the romance between these two. I could see it all in my head and it was making me smile. I was soon falling in love with the two leads.

The story develops on a slowly rising roller coaster that gives us little glimpses into the villain of this series. I found myself, of course far too curious about the villain (I have a thing for alpha males) and he of course had that alpha personna leaking from the page. However, as the story takes off and they enter the Estilorian plain I come to find a whole lot of alpha!

It was a book that captured my attention from the very beginning and by the end when the action and some trouble goes down I was weeping for Amber and Gabriel. I can only describe it as magic to read. So few young adult books give us something different and unique to enjoy. I enjoyed this one as much as some of my favorite adult fantasy series. Bless Raine Thomas for releasing all the books at the same time; I might have burst if I have to wait. I'm going to burst once I finish this series and have to wait for her next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah This one sounds really interesting, it's nice to come across something that is different from the usual & of course I'm a sucker for a good romance LOL