Mirah W's Reviews > East of the Sun

East of the Sun by Julia Gregson

Jul 28, 2011

There are many wonderful aspects of this novel. The three main female characters are well-developed and have real personalities. In many ways India itself is a strong character...the descriptions of Indian life, people, and politics add so much to the novel. India also becomes a catalyst for change for different characters while being a hindrance for others. The plot was interesting and explored life in 1920s India...a time period and location not in a novel I have read before. I loved the relationships between the various characters and how the girls (Rose, Tor, and Viva) were all so different from one another. Each of their paths to love were different and explored relationships (and trust) in different ways. The introduction of Toby was a much-needed addition to the second half of the novel. My primary complaint about the novel is the subplot of Guy Glover. When I think about overall plot I think the story of Guy could have been removed with little damage to the story. Overall though I think the book was great...descriptive, compelling, interesting, and unique.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East of the Sun.