Stacey Jo's Reviews > Some Kind of Magic

Some Kind of Magic by R. Cooper

1950408
Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: mm-shifter-werewolves, mm-shifters, mm-paranormal, mm-cops-fbi-cia-body-guards, mm-elves-and-or-fairies, mm-fantasy-magic
Read from July 28 to August 08, 2011 — I own a copy

This is a paranormal romance that is also somewhat of a mystery. Ray is a detective and a werewolf. Cal is a half-fairy who works for the police force as a consultant. Cal also happens to be Ray's mate, but Ray doesn't want to get involved because fairies are not known for staying with a partner and that's what Ray wants, a partner for life. Cal teases Ray whenever he gets the chance but Ray resists, building up the tension throughout the book. This teasing and resistence causes Ray to be a very moody guy because he's getting very little sleep and not eating much. He has a partner named Penn who seemed to balance him out well, although I thought she could have been developed a bit more. It's through a flashback that we learn how Cal and Ray met. The use of flashbacks are used several other times throughout the story.

It's not really an angsty read; just heavy on the tension. The tension was great and I liked that. I also really liked Ray and Cal and I liked them as a coupled by the end. I did have some questions though that would have been nice if there was some more story development or answers. I've read othere were stories and weres are pack animals. I kept wondering why Ray was alone? I was always slightly unclear on Cal and the fairys. I felt there could have been more about the fairies to world build on their kind. They had wings but they didn't fly? The sentence structure in the book could be a little muddled at times. Some sentences seemed incomplete or incomplete thoughts.

Overall, though, this was a cute story, with likeable characters who get a well deserved happily ever after. Any short commings I may have come across were easily overlooked.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Kind of Magic.