Danna's Reviews > Blow-Up and Other Stories

Blow-Up and Other Stories by Julio Cortázar

Jul 28, 2011

Read in July, 2011

Recommended to me by a friend for my trip to Argentina and Uruguay. I'm so glad I read this intriguing collection of stories, and I finished it before leaving Argentina. Cortazar has a way of blending beautiful imagery with chilling unease, rather like images from a Guillermo Del Toro film, so that even when I don't understand what is happening in a particular story, I'm still entranced and hanging on every word. My favorite was The Gates of Heaven, in part because I was in Buenos Aires when I read it, had walked up and down Santa Fe street, and was preparing to attend a tango show that evening. I'm also a huge Chandler fan, and The Gates of Heaven had a distinctly noir feeling to it. "...the women with enormously high hairdos...tough, laborious hairdos of the sort that let you know there's nothing left but weariness and pride." How poignant!

The other stories I loved best: Axolotl, House Taken Over, A Yellow Flower, Bestiary, Blow-Up, End of the Game, At Your Service.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blow-Up and Other Stories.