Greg's Reviews > SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper

SEAL Team Six by Howard E. Wasdin

Jul 28, 2011

bookshelves: history-and-biography, professional-development, hoplophilia
Read from July 28 to August 05, 2011 , read count: 1

Some have panned this autobiographical account as being self-centered or self-serving. I disagree. It would be difficult to begin to understand Wasdin’s motivation and drive without knowing about his background and critical moments in his life. It explains both his faults and his successes. About his faults and mistakes he seems to be generally open and sincere in his regrets.

Nonetheless, this isn't intended to be a self-examination or navel-gazing exploration. Rather, it is a glimpse into the selection, training, and exploits of a Navy SEAL. In that, it is reasonably successful. I have read other accounts of Hell Week and other aspects of SEAL the selection experience, and this one rings true. It is not as detailed or in-depth as some others, but then that is not to be expected. It is one man's experience, not an in-depth look at the program itself, and so it would inevitably be limited in perspective, objectivity, and scope. That doesn't make it inferior, just different. I consider it an interesting glimpse into the SEAL experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SEAL Team Six.