Libby Ames's Reviews > The Ballad of Lucy Whipple

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple by Karen Cushman

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: children-s-fiction, american-fiction
Read in July, 2011

Karen Cushman gives excellent voice to all her characters, but Lucy Whipple is one of my favorites. I relate to her negative view of change as she is grudgingly won over by a new place and people. Lucy, originally named California Morning Whipple, moves with her mother, brother and two sisters to a small town in California during the gold rush. Coming from the East, Lucy misses civilization and heartily despises the dirty and uncouth miners. As she shirks her work and complains about her surroundings, Lucy begins to make friends and recognize some good in a new life. However, it isn't until she faces true hardship and heartbreak that she finds peace.

This was a second reading for me and I read from the perspective of 'what would my 9 year old make of this book?' As an adult reading, I loved all of it. There are some hard issues to deal with, but great learning experiences. It is a perfect read for my nine-year-old, but some of the dialect and subtlety might make it better for a 10-12 audience. It is a great view of life during the California gold rush with lovable characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ballad of Lucy Whipple.