John's Reviews > The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb

The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011, melanie-benjamin
Read in July, 2011

For fans of "Alice I Have Been", author Melanie Benjamin's first novel, you are in for a real treat with her new novel, "The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb". In my humble opinion Ms. Benjamin has shown a gift for choosing historical figures who have passed from the limelight and bringing their fascinating stories back to life in the enlightening and accessible form of the historical novel. I had never heard of Mercy Lavinia "Vinnie" Warren Bump, the future wife of Charles Stratton (General Tom Thumb), until I read this wonderfully informative story of her life as an entertainer/exhibit, and I found her tale to be powerfully uplifting although ultimately somewhat tragic. Ms. Benjamin did another fine job of focusing not just on the curious story but on strong characterizations equally well, and relating Vinnie's complex relationships with the famous characters P.T. Barnum and Charles Stratton provided a rich and satisfying tale which was as poignant as it was edifying. I give this novel highest marks, recommend it as a terrific read, and can't wait to see what further tales await us from the talented Melanie Benjamin!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb.