Nairabell's Reviews > Burning For Revenge

1954980
Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: 4-star, read-in-2011, teen-ya-dystopian
Read from July 28 to August 02, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Ellie and her friends decide to leave the safety of Hell to journey to the nearby town of Stratton. It's a perilous journey not least of all because the enemy's headquarters are somewhere along the way. A careless mistake leads the group into the most dangerous situation yet and presents them with their greatest opportunity when they find themselves within the enemy's heavily fortified airbase. But how much are the teens willing to risk, and when it comes to revenge or escape what will they choose?

This is the fifth book in the Tomorrow series (after Tomorrow, When the War Began, The Dead Of Night, The Third Day, The Frost and Darkness, Be My Friend) and continues the story of the teens fighting a guerilla war against invaders. The pace of the book is pretty up and down and it did mean at times I found my interest waning. Parts of the book are action packed and fast paced, but the start and middle are more introspective and far slower in pace.

One thing I did notice with this book was that at times I found it hard to keep reading, partly due to the pacing issues and also partly due to Kevin. He becomes very withdrawn in this book which is understandable, he's been a captive and his girlfriend died at the hands of the invaders, but it does make the book quite depressing at times. After the epic failure of everything the teens tried to do in the previous book, this one sees them be more successful in their fight but lacks the emotional high.

All in all this was a great read and I'm looking forward to The Night Is For Hunting.

Plot: 8/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 7/10
Enjoyment: 7/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 40/50
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning For Revenge.