Sarah's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

Mar 31, 08

bookshelves: look-ma-its-educational
Read in April, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I really enjoyed this book - an interesting perspective on how we process informationa and what our "unconscious" tells us. My sister, the scientists, tried to read it but could not finish it, and I think the reasons for that are interesting. As a scientists, she thought the conslusions were not very startling and she wanted to know what what going on in the brian (i.e. what procees were firing) when the snap judgments were made. Since that type of information would have made me gouge my eyes out, I was greatful it wasn't included. I'll take my pop science without the background and beleive that the author's studies are accurate (I am sure I would have heard the backlash if there were problems with the science). Also, I liked that he used the studies as a jumping off point -- "okay, this is what we know about how we process information, how does that affect our society, what should we do about it." The section on the shooting of Amadou Diallo was facinating: it wasn't about a tragedy of a mistake or bigoted cops, it was about how additional training about finding cover when approaching a suspect could have prevented the incident. Another reason my sister did not like the book is that the book was not really linear, stories were started at the end of chapters and not finished. I found the layering of the story a very interesting devise and found myself wishing it had been employed by Thomas Friedman in "The World is Flat" so that I might actually be able to finish his work.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.