Darnell's Reviews > Jesus Land

Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres

Mar 31, 08

This memoir points out a lot of the problems I have with certain religious types. The author's parents adopt two black children in the name of charity but then proceed to neglect all of their children, trying to substitute their own lack of ability to love with God's love.

Things get to a point where the author passively experiences racism, rape and complete subjugation of her free will in a very matter-of-fact and observational way. She's numb to what's happening even as she tells it in her own memoir. As the story moves from racist Indiana to the Dominican Republic it shows a world where youth ministries are just outlets for the sadistic.

In the end, was it Julia's fault? Or David's? Or their parents? Or Jesus? Those kids would've had a better life raised in a secular house.

My biggest complaint of the book was the author's detachment from her own events and her inability to act. I found that frustrating. But the incredible epilogue in a way completely washes those complaints away.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus Land.

message 1: by Deena (new) - added it

Deena Look at the history of Colonialism, missionary work and Christianity. This is not new.

Tesla That program in the Dominican Republic is NOT abusive. I was there, so trust me, I know. The staff there are wonderful and amazing and they love their students and truly want to help them. She just wanted to find a way to get attention.