Bluerose's Heart's Reviews > The Princess Curse

The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell

Aug 15, 2011

bookshelves: clean, fantasy, young-adult-12-and-up
Read in August, 2011

The story is told from the point of view of Reveka, a thirteen year old girl. The Princess Curse is a really interesting mix between the story of The Twelve Dancing Princesses and the myth of Hades and Pershephone. With this story, though, you get an outsider's view of the Dancing Princesses. It's suppose to be somewhat of a mystery through the first half of the book, but if you know the story at all, you'll know what is going on.

The humor in the book seemed to be targeted for a young boy at times. There's constant talk of people "farting"(I hate that word, by the way. I didn't even want to put it in the review!). ;) Also, with words like "poop" and telling that a character was scratching his backside, I think the book will most likely be enjoyed by a younger audience. That said, there are some aspects of the book that are probably better understood by an older audience. While Reveka is mature for her age in many ways, you can definitely see her immaturity shine through quite often. I very much enjoyed the book despite all this! Especially when I got halfway through, I just kept turning the pages to see what would happen!

There's really not a lot of romance in this book. A bit, but not much. Reveka is actually trying to earn a dowry so she can become an herbalist in a convent. Her mind is not on romance.

I don't know if the ending is just one of those that is suppose to leave you hanging a bit, or if there will be a sequel. I really hope that there will be a sequel!! I will be snatching it up quite quickly!

If you like fairy tales and retellings, I definitely recommend you give this one a try!

Was it clean?

Very much. There's was no profanity at all, very little romance, no violence that I recall. Overall, I think it's a great book for all ages, and I'm so grateful that another author has decided to provide the world with another great, clean read. :)
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princess Curse.