Emily's Reviews > The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud

The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

Jul 28, 11

Read in July, 2011

Although I knew what was going to happen in this book before I even picked it up (I saw the movie when it came out), I was captivated by Ben Sherwood's novel; perhaps it's because I'm a sucker for romance, or because there was a happy ending with a twist, I'm not entirely sure. I do know, however, that this was a summer read that I loved.
Charlie St. Cloud had everything he could've ever wanted: a winning personality, friends, popularity, and his little brother--and best friend--Sam. He loses it all one night when he gets into a car accident which results in his brother's death.
Years pass by, and Charlie works in the cemetery his brother was buried in. Maybe it's because the he feels at peace there, or feels as if he's helping others...well, really it's because he plays catch every evening with his little brother's ghost.
As the novel progresses, Charlie meets Tess, a witty, sarcastic sailor determined to sail around the world. In short, they fall in love. It's perfect and wonderful until tragedy strikes, and Charlie is forced to choose between Tess and Sam.
This book combines so many different elements together so very well: mystery, romance, and religion. All in all, it makes for a great book with a feel good ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud.