Annabelle Marie Veronica's Reviews > Juliet Immortal

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

FINAL RATING: 1.25 STARS

CATCHALL
I wanted to like this book. I really did. It was one of those books I heard about by random chance and immediately started counting down the days to its release. It looked that good, and was beautiful besides. And when I finally bought it, with its gorgeous cover, I was ecstatic. I dove right in. The beginning was amazing and drew me in right away. And now? I'm embarrassed to admit I own it. Yet another time where I've let beautifully written dust jacket blurbs and lovely covers suck me in.

This review will contain spoilers. Major ones. And profanity, so if that insults you, stop here. Please. However, my clean, profanity-free review can be found on Sparkles and Lightning.

Seriously. There is A LOT of profanity. I'm not sure I've ever used so much in a review before. Or at all, for that matter.

THE HEROINE
Was I supposed to like her at all? Juliet was vapid, shallow, and selfish. Not to mention that she could never stick to a decision. Ever. All she ever did was complain about how she hates Romeo because he killed her, and then near the end of the book she remembers that SHE FUCKING KILLED HERSELF. What. The. Fuck?!? There are no words sufficient to describe the stupidity of this!! "Oops. My bad! You didn't kill me. So I've been hating you all these years for nothing! Shit!" It makes no sense!! Basically, she's wasted her entire centuries of her life. And what was with the whole "I hated myself but I should really love myself" shit? It sounded too thrown in at the last moment, too rushed. There was no real substance and throughout the entire book Juliet felt so false and fake.

THE LOVE INTEREST
Um. So. What about him? Let's see, he's hot, he's dreamy, he's hot, he's dreamy, and, oh yeah, in his past life he was BENVOLIO FUCKING MONTAGUE. This makes absolutely no sense and felt so thrown in! Can you say random? Or how about I have no clue what to write so I think I'll throw this in? It felt like Jay needed to end the book so she made something up at the last minute. Too bad it makes no sense. And what was with his creepy, overprotectiveness? Not to mention his weird, annoying habit of being stupid and obtuse? He annoyed the hell out of me! Where's the good character traits that I'm supposed to fall in love with?! Why was he so shallow? Why does Juliet love him? Answers, please!! There's not even anything good to say about him. He talks too much and when he talks nothing that makes even remote sense comes out of his mouth.

THE VILLAIN
Romeo is the only remotely interesting character in this book. He has a sexy, bad boy attitude that's actually attractive. He's supposed to be evil, at least according to Juliet, but I don't see it. I love the two or three intermezzos (incidentally, I speak Italian. Intermezzo means interval. Which makes no sense. Just saying) when we get to hear the story from his point of view. He has a gorgeous, sarcastic voice and his parts are actually well written.He has more depth than every other character combined. he has regrets, and he made his choices. he has to live by them, but he doesn't have to like them. I love that about him and I wish there were more characters like him in this book.

THE "BEST FRIEND"
Ariel's best friend, Gemma, is so freaking annoying. Talk about a spoiled brat. Although Juliet couldn't seem to make up her mind about her, liking her one moment and hating her the next. So bipolar!! Make up your damn mind. There's not much to say about her, but I wanted to say this, so here goes: what was the point of her, exactly?

THE PLOT
The plot was, like, OMG, amazing.

Wait, that's not right. It sucked.

Juliet is so freaking indecisive, which does not help the plot at all.

I must be with Ben. I love him.
I can't be with Ben. He's supposed to love Gemma.
Screw Gemma! Ben, let's make out.
Go away, Ben! We can't ever be together!
Actually, let's elope.

Or try this one:

Romeo, I'm not working with you.
Oh, Romeo, fine. Let's get it over with.
Just kidding. I want to stay with Ben.
No! Wait! I need your help!
Screw you. I don't want to speak to you again.

And so on and so forth. So the book drags on for pages and pages of unnecessary shit where nothing happens.

Basically, Juliet makes out with Romeo to convince Ben that they're together so he and Gemma can be together. Then she realizes Gemma and Mike are soul mates and Ben is her soul mate. They make out and fall in love. A bit too convenient, don't you think?

Hmm, you're right. Way too convenient.

And what happens? Love. Yep. That pretty much sums up the whole plot. So let's move on…

THE ROMANCE
Romeo and Juliet fall in love in about five days, give or take. The author says she doesn't believe this love was real, and yet she has Ben and Juliet fall in love in three days? It makes no fucking sense. There's no substance to the romance. Seriously, if anyone knows why Ben and Juliet fall in love, please tell me. Because it looks like a serious fucking case of insta-love to me. All they ever do is make out. They never actually have a deep conversation. And let's not mention that Juliet is technically lying to him about who she is. So he's in love with a stranger and doesn't know it. Lovely. How wonderful for them that they can fall in love without knowing one another at all. It seems to me like Juliet is repeating her mistake. How great. What a wonderful message to send to the world.

THE ENDING
Oh my God. ALTERNATE UNIVERSES. Are you fucking kidding me? This feels so thrown in at the last second! Innocent Ariel is lying on the ground. She's going to die, and so is Juliet. But wait! Juliet gets sent to an alternate universe! And Ariel exists in a another universe too, so it's okay! Well, what about this universe?!? I hate this. The damn alternate universe thing is such a damn crutch. Jay is basically saying she had no clue as to how to end the book, so she threw in alternate universes. Where Juliet falls in love with Ben as Benvolio Montague, in her original body. Instantly. And everything is happy and cheerful. Except for the fact that it's completely unbelievable. She gets a new life in the most pathetic way possible. And Ariel can start over. But since she, you know, died in this universe, making everything that Juliet was semi-decent enough to try to do for her, completely fucking pointless! Because she's dead! So the entire book was a waste!! Why not just start at the fucking ending?!? She might as well have!! Everything that happens throughout the entire book becomes irrelevant at the end. Ariel starts out in a new universe as Romeo's second chance. Great! So clean! Except for the major plot hole: where did the fucking alternate universes come from?! And why are the Ambassadors the only one who can use them?! Oh, and what happened to the Mercenaries?! Never mind them! We got our happy ending! Yeah. Sure.

THE WRITING
Juliet is the narrator. 'Nuff said.
No, but seriously, her voice is so annoying. I might've actually enjoyed the book more told from third person P.O.V. or someone else's P.O.V. Romeo's brief chapters, for example, I actually enjoyed. He has a dark, sardonic voice that pulls you in. Juliet, on the other hand, pushes your away. There's really not much else to say. Juliet was irritating and Romeo was not.

WRAPUP
Will I read the sequel? Probably only if it's about Romeo. And even then, only if it has a nice cover. Otherwise, I'd be too ashamed to buy it.

A SPECIAL NOTE ON THE QUOTE ON THE BACK OF THE DUST JACKET ON THE HARDCOVER U.S. EDITION
That was a mouthful. Anyway, that seemingly romantic quote on the back of the book? Well, not only does it turn out it would've sounded stupid because there was no love between Ben and Juliet that I could see, she doesn't even say it. She just thinks it. How lame is that? Pathetic, I know.

FINE.

Find this review and more on Sparkles and Lightning!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet Immortal.

Quotes Annabelle Marie Veronica Liked

Stacey Jay
“He is a romantic, a dreamer, and never afraid to play the fool. He is fearless and reckless and brave and I love him for it. Desperately.”

Stacey Jay
“Because the part of me that remembers what it was like all those lifetimes ago still cares for you .. loves you.”

Stacey Jay
“And I know that I am. I am his moon, and his brightly shining star. I am his life, his heart. I am all that and the answer to every unspoken question, the comfort for every hurt, the companion who will walk beside him from now until the end of our lives, reveling in the bliss of each simple chore done in his name, overflowing with beauty because I am blessed to spend my life with my love.”

Stacey Jay
“Real love has little to do with falling. It's a climb up the rocky face of a mountain, hard work, and most people are too selfish or too scared to bother.
Very few reach the critical point in their relationship that summons the attention of the light and the dark, that place where they will make a commitment to love no matter what obstacles-or temptations- appear in their path.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn CA Oh my goodness, I literally just finished this book and I completely agree with everything you said. I saw absolutely no proof of love between Ben and Juliet and so the whole claim of love annoyed the heck out of me. Plus it pissed me off that Juliet thinks that it is okay to make a bunch of decisions about who gets to live and who gets to die because she doesn't want to serve the Ambassadors at all. I spent a lot of the book ticked off at Juliet and liking Romeo. Even after she realizes she killed herself and he regreted it immediately, she still hates him. That, to me, is ridiculous!
Anyway, excellent written review. Completely agree.
And about the quote on the back of the US edition... to me it is creepy. Like controlling stalker creepy. "...and no matter what she remembers, she'll never love you the way I do. Never." Isn't that what the creepy stalkers always say in horror movies before someone gets slashed?!?

Annabelle Marie Veronica Kathryn, I know what you mean exactly! I'm pretty sure we had a similar experience with this book. It seems like we agree on so many things. I totally understand what you're saying 100%!
Haha, I have to agree with that bit about the quote. It drew me in at first because I've always been a total romantic. I love a good love story. However, I love real love stories, which this was not. But now that you mention it, it is actually pretty creepy. I think I'll leave my review as it is, though(:
Oh, and thank you!

message 3: by Belkis (new) - added it

Belkis Thank you so much Annabelle for such a forthcoming review of this book. I greatly appreciate it as I had it in my to buy next pile because the premise of a new and interesting twist on Romeo and Juliet held such promise. Guess we'll keep out hopes alive for the next and hopefully better attempt.

message 4: by Annabelle Marie Veronica (last edited Feb 29, 2012 11:48PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Annabelle Marie Veronica I'm keeping my fingers crossed! It's a shame this book was such a disappointment, but I'm hoping maybe…maybeRomeo Redeemed will be better. It has a gorgeous cover, anyway. So did Juliet Immortal, but I always try to give authors a second chance unless they don't deserve it.

message 5: by JPerceval (new)

JPerceval Thanks for this! I saw the pretty cover on my friends' feed, and I clicked. Then I saw it was YA, which was a first ding against it in my books (no offense to anyone, it's just I'm not a huge YA fan). But I do make some exceptions, so I thought I'd read a few reviews. Thank you. You saved me. *g*

Annabelle Marie Veronica Glad I could save you! Unfortunately, the prettiest covers sometimes hide the worst books.

Beatriz  Lins Fantastic review! I just finished reading Juliet Immortal and I thought the same thing. The romance is SO WTH. They fall in love in three days! And it's kind of funny that Juliet tells Ben "But we know each other just for three days!" and he's all like "I don't care. I want to have kids with you and die before you do so I don't have to live without you." Seriously? It's worse than Twilight.

Regina omg you have said everything I was thinking while reading. I'm surprised I didn't chuck the book part way though. Though I did sort of chuck it after finishing it.

Regina Oh and the sequel is on Romeo

Annabelle Marie Veronica I heard. For some reason unknown to me, Netgalley actually approved me for Romeo Redeemed, so as I don't have to pay anything it looks like I'll be reading it. But I won't lie--I'm dreading it.

Regina ill probably will read it too so I hope they don't ruin Romeo for me or make Ariel into Juliet #2

message 12: by Mish (new) - rated it 1 star

Mish My incredible hatred for this sad excuse for a book almost inspired me to write a review; then I realized that yours described everything I found distasteful about the book to the T. Definitely a wasted hour of my life. Thanks for your awesome review. I wish I had seen it before I read the book...

Annabelle Marie Veronica It really is a shame, because it has the most beautiful cover! Still, I've never gotten any grief from Stacey, so I'm definitely willing to give her a second chance. Fingers crossed that Romeo Redeemed is better!

message 14: by Mish (new) - rated it 1 star

Mish Well, I'll definitely let you be the judge of that. I don't think I want to put in the time to find out, haha!

message 15: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther Cotton Oh my, this book sounds horrible. Lol. But... I might read it just for Romeo. I love villainous hotties with wit & ire (Loki, anyone?)~

Abigail I very much agree. And here I thought juliet would be a kickass heroine, falling in love with her enemy. That didn't really happen. I am now hoping that Romeo Redeemed will not only redeem romeo, but stacey jay as well.

Heather You definitely hit the nail on the head in this review, great job! lol :)

Annabelle Marie Veronica Thanks, hon! xx

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Wow. Okay I didn't want a full description of the book and a spoiler of the end. I was simply looking for a review to sum up the basic ups-and-downs of the book. This summed up the entire theme of the book. The tension of reading, biting your lip, gasping, and finally finding out the twisted plot ending. Now that I know the ending (THANKS btw) I shall not read the book I was ever so excited to sample.

Annabelle Marie Veronica Ashley, I did warn that my review contains major spoilers. If you chose to ignore that, I'm sorry, but you had a chance to turn away.

message 21: by Myan (new) - added it

Myan I totally agree with this review. The ending nearly made me throw the book across the room. Benvolio? Really?

Julianna I so agree with this review! I don't think it bothered me as much as it bothered you (okay I liked it a lot better, but still, you made some really good points). If you thought THIS one was bad, the sequel is a nightmare. It was so confusing and just....no.

message 23: by Maia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maia this book is actually one of my favorites i loved it sosoosososo much

Haley THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS REVIEW. I definitely agree with you... This book was such a waste of my time and energy!

Rachel Shamley-Kulik (The Reading Picnic) UGH I completely agree.