Alissa's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Jul 29, 11

Read from July 28 to 29, 2011

This has been my favorite book of the summer, even though it was hard to read at parts when the author graphically depicted the horrors a young girl and her family encountered during the Holocaust.

I appreciated learning about Drancy, a French transit camp, where Jews were taken before being railed to German camps such as Auschwitz. When I am in Paris next summer, I plan to visit the camp. In addition, I think this book plays an important role in enabling us to "Remember. Never Forget" the atrocities of the Holocaust and how it ruined the lives of millions of families, some of whom are still feeling the effects today, 70+ years later.

Julia, the main, present day, character, brought Sarah's story to of being a Jew during WW2 to light, while enlightening me to new and different events that occurred during this dismal time, prompting me to read more about the history of Paris on July 16, 1942.

This story aptly weaves two vastly different families' lives together, showing that the Holocaust was not only a tragedy for the Jews, but for the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.