Christina's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 29, 11

bookshelves: y-a, supernatural, did-not-finish-due-to-boredom, cheesy-dramatic
Read from July 28 to 29, 2011

I've had such trouble getting into this book. It's really, well, boring. Truly, the words are so silly... and I'm a romantic person by nature. I'm thinking it would appeal to girls that are lost in wanting a tormented lover. I've had them, they suck in real life, it's really not so cool. If you loved Twilight, deeply, and g-rated truly, you will probably love this.

I'm thinking the main character Grace suffers from Stockholm syndrome, where she's obsessed with her attacker, that's now become her stalker. She's also a little bit of a stalker too. She's listless, tormented, melodramatic in an apathetic manner. Her parents are awful, they ignore her, and are complete bumbleheads; too dumb to pay attention to their daughter because they are obsessed with their own lives: it's every woeful emo girls dream. It's like she wants the world to feel sorry for her, and yet at the same time, just leave her the hell alone. So she can stalk her wolf that she's in love with. Before she realizes he's actually a werewolf and could even be non-beastual boyfriend material.

Well, I tried to get into this book because I saw it had such great reviews (then i read a little more on it), and it has beautiful artwork on the cover. I cringed inside with embarrassment when I read the blurb on the back, then stubbornly tried to keep at reading it. Cheesy non-romantic stuff... Real romance isn't built upon guys that have issues, try to eat you, and where you ignore everyone in the world except your guy.

I just wasn't into it. I guess I'm too old, and too concerned with a story of some entertaining substance as well as not being into screwed-up impossible relationship concepts.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Christina Having a hard time getting into this book so far. Going to keep at it and hoping it ends up pulling me in.