Jan's Reviews > Still Life With Brass Pole

Still Life With Brass Pole by Craig Machen

Feb 22, 12

Read from February 13 to 22, 2012

This was a Goodreads win. Thank you.

Sex and economics rule the world, you don't get one without the other! This story tells of a young man coming of age. No soccer mum story here, no Nannies and Aunties coming to tea on Sundays. No baseball practices or normal family. Craig Machen writes of growing up in a dysfunctional family with a sex crazed mother and a gay father. He is also adopted, and neither of his adopted parents ever grew up!

Craig Machen tells his story of growing up in strip clubs, sex, drugs, abortions and love. He never gives up on love, always looking for something he craved but never received from his immediate family. Except, maybe from his gran. Yet, he appears to be full of love. Especially where animals and his little sister is concerned. He has the ability to love big time.

I found the story very sad, it is amazing that Mr. Machen actually makes it to grow up past the age of 21 and to actually have a family of his own and a career. Kudo's.

Probably would have given you five stars Mr. Machen, but gasp, on page 197 your write, "At some point, I think you just have to be honest with yourself about your own level of freakishness. I mean, do you want to watch Andy Griffith or The Last Picture Show? Do you want to hear Pat Boone or Little Richard"?

OMG, I am a Boone fan! I fell in love with Pat when I was eleven. I nearly stopped reading!! I mean, I have all his records still! I have Little Richard too though, and confession, I love Richard Simmons also. So yes, we are worlds apart!

Great job of writing, easy to read, easy to understand, and leaves the reader wondering. So, o.k. let's hear the rest, what is the next chapter? Inquiring minds want to know!

Book has already been passed on to another inquiring mind!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Life With Brass Pole.