Sarah's Reviews > Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

Our Bodies, Ourselves by Boston Women's Health Book ...

Jul 28, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction, science, medical

This book is a MUST OWN for any woman who is pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant. It is by far the best book I have found on the market - it relies on evidence based science and personal testimonies - not weird didactic stereotypes and vague flowery descriptions. This is a pregnancy book that will give you the tools to make the best decisions for YOU instead of guilting you into doing something based on the ideology of the writer/s. It presents the pros and cons of hospital birth vs homebirth vs birth center birth and gives excerpts of women talking about their choices. It avoids scare tactics around the great do not do list like alcohol, soft cheese, drugs, skiing, etc and doesn't treat the reader like a moron.

This book is also very inclusive, talking about queer women, disabled women, working mothers, women of color, etc as part of the entire book, not a sad little ghettoized chapter. The emphasis on a community of mothers instead of judging other's choices is beautiful and refreshing.

The only criticism I have is that it has nothing about conception. It starts with the assumption that you are already pregnant so if you need that kind of information, you will have to buy another book in addition to this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Bodies, Ourselves.