Mike Smith's Reviews > Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps: How We're Different and What to Do About It

Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps by Allan Pease

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction

This is a lively and humourous look at the differences between men and women. The authors' main thesis is that male and female brains are structurally and functionally different as a result of exposure to hormones while we're still in the womb. They say that neither gender is better... they're just different. Men tend to be better at tasks involving navigation and the manipulation of objects in three-dimensional space, while women are better at relationships and understanding people's moods.

Some of the material is repeated in the authors' later work, "Why Men Want Sex and Women Need Love", which focuses on mating and dating. That subject is just one chapter in this work, dating from 2000, that also covers talking and listening, map-reading, and the biological bases for our differences. The book also comments on the problems with extreme feminism and political correctness, which try to assert that men and women are equal and can do the same tasks equally well. It just ain't so, but that fact does not appear to have yet made into educational curricula.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps.