Karschtl's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Oct 15, 09

bookshelves: 1001-books, adventure, children_teenie, classic, drama, friendship, read-in-2009, 5-stars
Read in October, 2009

I resolved to read more classics - last year already. Still haven't lived up to that promise to myself so much yet. Now I finally grabbed "To Kill a Mockingbird", which is not a classic in a sense Jane Austen is but a more "modern" classic (it's not even 50 years old).

Since I've heard only good things about it my expectations were quite high. And I haven't been led down! I wanted to finish it so badly, I even got up 15 minutes earlier today to read the final pages. And would I have made my decision what to wear (today an extremely difficult question, with the first snow of the season) I would have made it. So I had to finish the last 4 pages in the subway on my way to work and take an extra book for the return journey with me.

It is mentioned very late in the book in which year the events take place. I know it was published in 1960, and from what I know could have easily been set around that time. But it is the middle of the 30s. I hate to admit it, but I guess not everywhere the attitude of ppl against African-Americans have changed in the last 70 years. I do see quite some parallels to Grishams "The Jury" from the 90s.

I heard that this book is on the reading lists of many schools in the USA, but it is (was?) also one of the most banished ones. I do understand the first one, but not the second one. I would have liked to read this book in school myself, since you'll have an adventure story (bit like Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer I have to say), learn about the juridical system in the US (concept of a jury), about the history and standing of the Blacks in the USA, and most of all you'll learn a lot about friendship!

I enjoyed reading the story itself, I enjoyed reading it particularly in this writing style, I enjoyed reading the story being told by Scout.
However, the print and layout of my edition was not the most reader-friendly, small print and no free space between the chapters. Hence, even this book has only 280 pages I did took my some days to finish it. But I'm glad I finally got around to reading it.

PS: MUST watch the movie now!