Phillip's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: 20th-century

One of Dostoevsky's most famous works, this novel is primarily explication. The plot itself fits onto a fraction of the pages, while there is an incredible amount of space devoted to musing and discussion of religious and theoretical issues. The commentary is interesting, but the religious discussions did tend to drag a bit for my taste. I did, however, find the Inquisitor story very interesting, and once the book gets into the court scenes it begins to flow better, without so many lengthy interruptions. That being said, Dostoevsky does, as he always did, create intensely interesting characters; we become thoroughly familar with their personalities and quandries as they search for direction in a world where "everything is permissible." A classic of Russian literature, modernist literature, and a precursor to existentialist literature, this novel is widely referenced and everyone should become familiar with it (even if that's through an abridged edition).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.