Lisa's Reviews > The Lover's Dictionary

4020044
Nov 25, 11

bookshelves: feels
Read from November 23 to 24, 2011

“There are times when I worry that I've already lost myself. That is, that my self is so inseparable from being with you that if we were to separate, I would no longer be. I save this thought for when I feel the darkest discontent. I never meant to depend so much on someone else.”

4 and a half stars.

I loved this. It was such a simple idea but it was so refreshing and powerful. I love love love the cover of this book. It is one of the nicest books covers I own.

I got this from a trade on readitswapit. Someone traded me this for Tweet Heart. It was a no-brainer trade for me.

It is a heartbreaking book. I could relate to the character almost constantly(from past experiences). It is about a painful kind of love. Or maybe just the pain that is caused by love.

I guess I knocked off half a star just because it isn't exactly a happy book. I guess I was hoping for more love and less heart slaughter.

This book reminded me of two movies that I love/quite liked(respectively). It reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and a little bit like Like Crazy. Both movies show less than perfect relationships where the characters can't seem to let each other go.

The writing is great. I love the concept of the book. I love the simplicity. I love the anger and emotional depth. I love how raw it can be. For example, the narrator hates the way his girlfriend never puts the cap back on the toothpaste. It's a simple thing but it's deeper than that, I believe. When the little things deeply annoy you like that, there is usually a bigger issue. I remember my ex used to chew a piece of gum for less than a minute and then throw it away. It used to fill me with anger but I think the anger represented the bigger things. You fixate on a little thing when really it's something much larger.

So I loved how full of truth this book was. I loved how it was written. I loved the cover. I loved a lot of things about it. I wished for more happiness but that wasn't the point of it.

I think people will interpret it differently and relate to it in different ways. I also think people will interpret the ending differently. I guess it all depends on how people view love, I guess. I know which way I viewed it.

I recommend this. I hearted it.

“Livid:
Fuck You for cheating on me. Fuck you for reducing it to the word cheating. As if this were a card game, and you sneaked a look at my hand. Who came up with the term cheating, anyway? A cheater, I imagine. Someone who thought liar was too harsh. Someone who thought devastator was too emotional. The same person who thought, oops, he’d gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Fuck you. This isn’t about slipping yourself an extra twenty dollars of Monopoly money. These are our lives. You went and broke our lives. You are so much worse than a cheater. You killed something. And you killed it when its back was turned.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lover's Dictionary.

Quotes Lisa Liked

David Levithan
“livid, adj.

David Levithan, The Lover's Dictionary

11/23/2011 page 35
11/24/2011 page 77
36.0% ""dumbfounded, adj. And still, for all the jealousy, all the doubt, sometimes I will be struck with a kind of awe that we're together. That someone like me could find someone like you- it renders me wordless. Because surely words would conspire against such luck, would protest the unlikelihood of such a turn of events.""
show 1 hidden update…

Lisa “I want my own books to have their own shelves," you said, and that's how I knew it would be okay to live together.”

message 2: by Simeon (new) - added it

Simeon Thank you for the brilliant review... :)

Lisa Thank you for thinking it's brilliant :P