Alanna M's Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Jul 28, 2011

bookshelves: comedy, favourites
Read in July, 2011

I picked this up expecting a comedic read, and was very surprised to find that it was not only hilarious, it carried a lot of really strong messages that resonated with me pretty deeply. I can't count the number of times a character said or thought something that seemed straight out of my own heart, articulated in a way I could have never managed. The feminist agenda was a little heavy-handed at times, but the humour never ceased to temper it, and I loved the diversity of characters. What's more, it's so RARE to read a book with feminist themes that doesn't unfairly villainize males. I felt like that was the crowning triumph of this book: that once male characters were introduced, they were not all misrepresented as chauvenists and mysoginists (though some were). I loved it and would reread it again, and have since recommended it to any and all of my friends who a drop of feminism in their blood. Actually, most of us have been complaining about the lack of strong, female representation in the novels we've been reading.

At it's heart, this is more of a coming of age story about women and how they might find their place in the world rather than what one might expect: a bunch of ditzes dithering around on the beach trying to find moisturizer or lip gloss (which happens too, but all satirically speaking).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.