Androcles's Reviews > My Family & Other Animals

My Family & Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: inspirational, travel

I read this book when I was in my early teens. It was instrumental in
setting my compass on a journey much travelled since then. It opened my
eyes to the pleasures of reading. It made me fall in love with the Greek Islands and set the scene for dozens of trips there in the years to follow. It confirmed and stimulated my love of nature and wild-life. More than anything in the world I wanted (at the time) to become an animal collector - and travel to exotic places. My imagination was set on fire. It was also comforting to learn that there were other families out there which were even more peculiar and eccentric than mine! And it stirred a sense of sharing and belonging to the English speaking world with which up until then I had been rather diffident. Maybe I also could belong to that world? Maybe I wasn't quite the goofy outsider I thought myself to be. Thank you Gerald Durrell, even though many many years later when listening and watching you on television for the first time, you shocked me with how pompous you sounded. What a lesson that was too!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Family & Other Animals.

Quotes Androcles Liked

Gerald Durrell
“My childhood in Corfu shaped my life. If I had the craft of Merlin, I would give every child the gift of my childhood.”
Gerald Durrell, My Family and Other Animals