Danielle's Reviews > Keep the Aspidistra Flying

Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell

Jul 10, 07

Recommended for: those needing a happiness reduction
Read in January, 2007

Ok, I see the literary value of this book; however, I am frustrated with the 'intent.' When I read Morrison or hooks, although dense, I feel that each word chosen by the author has emotional weight. Words feel like they are chosen without emotion to increase the literary value...but they don't make me feel anything. Although, I do admit that I did feel an emotional attachment to Gordon (due to good writing and not emotional investment).

I also found the black and white nature of the plot frustrating. Gordon is either a sell-out or not; I see this dualistic thinking becoming more and more common in mainstream society. I would have liked Orwell to examine more of the grey areas regarding moral convictions and participation in society.

The overall feeling of this book was overwhelming helplessness and unhappiness in the face of daily life dilemmas. Yikes. Nyssa, haha, I know you think differently! Help me out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keep the Aspidistra Flying.